Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTroubleshooting › 1st gen board no longer uploads

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
1st gen board no longer uploads (Read 5449 times)
04/02/11 at 23:32:59

roypardi   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
Boston USA

HI - seen some other/older posts @ this but no solutions. Here's the situation: I have a first gen Wiring board that has been working fine, using the 027 IDE that I downloaded last year sometime. I re-downloaded 027 and that seems to have trashed my ability to upload. There are no errors when trying: everything proceeds as normal - it is just that the old program remains. Have tried earlier versions of the Wiring software but no luck.

Could some change in 027 have fried the bootloader on my board? I have a second board but am wary to try it with this recent version of 027. If it is not the IDE, what else might cause this? I am clueless as to what else to try.

thanks for any tips!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/03/11 at 07:26:15

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi Roy, no 0027 shouldn't change anything on your board. Which firmware are you using? 1.x? (when selecting it form the tools menu).

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/03/11 at 17:56:59

roypardi   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
Boston USA

Yes, using firmware 1.x.

I decided to try uploading to the other 1st gen board I have and it works ok - so it's not the IDE. THe issue seemed to occur right after I had reinstalled the 027 IDE but I guess that was an unlucky coincidence.

From reading the older posts with similar issues, it seems like over-voltage or other electrical issue could have caused a problem?

My set up is this: I want to embed one of my older Wiring boards in a project and wanted to use one power supply - instead of a supply for the Wiring board (wall wart) and a supply for the rest of the project (motors). I built a power supply for the Wiring board using a LM317 voltage regulator fed by a 12v, 40 amp supply that is powering the motors. The LM317 supply tested @ 9v and seemed to power the Wiring board just fine- uploading, running, etc. I may have had a short at one point after this- maybe that caused the problem?

The Wiring board in question still runs the old program on it. I don't have an AVR programmer to reinstall the bootloader and if there is an electrical problem I am hesitant to switch in the 2nd Wiring board I have and fry that one. The LM317 circuit I am using is below. I've been over it checking for faults, etc. and it seems ok.

I guess the question is: do I feel lucky  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/04/11 at 18:52:32

roypardi   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
Boston USA

So I switched to my 2nd Wiring board and I am able to upload etc. so I guess I borked the bootloader on my other board. Don't have an ISP programmer or know how to use one - so have to dig around a bit @ that.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/04/11 at 19:22:16

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Wait a bit, we are posting a sketch that will allow you to change the bootloader using other Wiring board. By the way did you get the new one?
best,
h.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 04/04/11 at 20:35:48

roypardi   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
Boston USA

Yes - I got it - gorgeous! Waiting for the new version of the IDE to test it out.

I'll look forward to the bootloader sketch!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/06/11 at 19:45:59

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

cool, I'll upload a test version asap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1