Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTangible computing › controlling lights

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
controlling lights (Read 4861 times)
12/07/10 at 09:31:27

Psysoul   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Greetings!

I am not new to processing, but have no experience with hardware components.

So I want to control lights (colors and position would be great) using arduino or wiring.

Which board to choose? How can I control lights? Can i use a DMX controllable light with these boards?

Also please suggest me some controllable light source, I want to display lot's of different colors, and motors would be also great. I want to create a relaxing room with slow motions etc.., so power (watt) should be low.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/07/10 at 13:30:32

Psysoul   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Alright, a little bit more information...

It is possible to create (or buy) a DMX shield for Arduino, and there is a library called DMXsimple which makes sending DMX signals easy.

I still need to get more information about light sources and how to create motion for those (I want to buy a cheaper one, and maybe move it with motors).

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12/07/10 at 13:30:50

Psysoul   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Also, the link for arduino DMX
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/DMX

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12/08/10 at 03:38:57

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Yes you could use DMX, that library also work with Wiring, let me know if you need anything else.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12/08/10 at 08:31:56

Psysoul   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Okay, but I need a bit more information:

So I can build the same DMX shield for wiring too? (I couldn't find any schematics for wiring+dmx in the forum or in google).

Is it better to buy wiring because it has more pins and bigger memory etc?

How can I write programs for the library? Do I need to use the wiring IDE or can I use processing (which I use a lot)?

Can I attach a breadboard to wiring and create my dmx connection on another board?

Sorry for the basic questions, I can't really see the whole picture yet, but I guess I will when I'll have a board to test etc..

Thanks a lot.

barragan wrote on 12/08/10 at 03:38:57:
Yes you could use DMX, that library also work with Wiring, let me know if you need anything else.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12/08/10 at 21:02:57

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Yes you can, do your dmx circuit on a breadboard for example, and then connect it to the Wiring board via a cable, once your circuit is tested you might consider to use a PCB to solder the components on it, the advantage of using a connector with cables is that you could later connect your circuit to any board.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1