Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumDiscussionGeneral Discussion, Status › Problem compiling on Linux

Pages: 1 2 
Problem compiling on Linux (Read 17939 times)
02/22/10 at 13:54:49

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello, 

I recently downloaded and installed Wiring on my linux machine - it's running Ubuntu 9.10

when i try and verify any code i get the following error

/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 1:
ELF

: not found
/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 1:
ELF

/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 3: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 3: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc returned 2

can anyone enlighten me on how I can solve this problem?

cheers

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/22/10 at 14:05:59

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hmm, is your system 32 or 64 bits?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/22/10 at 14:25:01

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello,

thanks for the fast response.

it's 32 bit - not entirely sure what the problem could be - seems to be an issue with avr-gcc .

Also, I notice that the path in the error message
/home/grahoom/wiring-0025/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc
has an additional / between tools and avr - is this just an issue with the error message itself, or is there a problem in the config?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/22/10 at 19:17:45

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Our avr-gcc distribution was compiled using a 64 bit Fedora system, Linux distribution needs some work that I hope to be able to do in the next few weeks, I can think of you getting the avr-gcc installer for ubuntu and use that one instead of the provided in the tools folder, I'll try to do a universal binary distribution for 32 and 64 as soon as possible.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/23/10 at 08:21:57

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello barragan,

I tried using the avr-gcc as a fresh install on my distro (ubuntu) but another error arose, I think I'll uninstall wiring, and try it all from scratch again.

It might be an idea for me to try and compile wiring from source, and see if I can get it working that way.  Would be lovely to get it up and running on my linux machine.

Any links to a nice how to on compiling wiring from source?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/23/10 at 15:18:12

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi, here is all you need to do it, http://wiring.uniandes.edu.co/build.html it would be great to have your help and support for the linux platform, let me know if you any trouble compiling it.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/26/10 at 07:59:36

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi, 0026 will be released soon fixing this.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/27/10 at 05:35:24

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

the linux box I have at hand is a Fedora 64-bit, is there any volunteer to generate the toolchain for 32-bit linux?
I generated already the toolchain for 64-bit, and it works fine, I have tried to generate the 32-bit version on my machine with no luck using the -m32 flags etc. Let me know. I can provide instructions etc.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/02/10 at 20:01:53

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Can you try this test version for linux 32-bit? http://wiring.org.co/download/wiring-0026.tgz
Please let us know.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/04/10 at 10:43:13

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello,

sorry for my slow response - I'll download this tonight and give it a go.

thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/04/10 at 18:57:59

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello barragan

So, I've run this version - but when I try to verify I get the following.

/home/grahoom/wiring-0026/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/grahoom/wiring-0026/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc)
/home/grahoom/wiring-0026/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/grahoom/wiring-0026/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc)

I tried installing libc6 again,to see if that solves the problem - but it seems not to be working - I am on ubuntu 9.10 - I an under the impression it's a problem with my install of ubuntu.

do you think it is worth me trying to compile wiring from source , see if I can get it up and running?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/04/10 at 21:13:45

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

It is not really related to compilation of Wiring, the issue is related to the tools/avr generation, the actual distribution of Wiring for Linux is done in Fedora in a 64Bit machine, so it doesn't work in Linux 32 bits. The Link above is an attempt to generate a version for Linux 32 Bits but it doesn't seem to work, I was also created using Fedora as far as I know. Wi will generate another tools-avr distribution and will let you know to try it again.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/04/10 at 21:21:48

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thanks for the reply - in the meantime i am going to try and compile it from source - see if it works...  just downloading the source as I type.

determined to get it all working Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/04/10 at 21:48:00

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

compiled it

get some warnings. - and when I run wiring and try to verify some code - I get similar errors to the start of this thread...

------------------------
/home/grahoom/wiring/build/linux/work/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 1:
ELF

/home/grahoom/wiring/build/linux/work/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 1:
ELF

/home/grahoom/wiring/build/linux/work/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 3: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/home/grahoom/wiring/build/linux/work/tools//avr/bin/avr-gcc: 3: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
----------------------------

ho hum.  (you can tell I have no idea what I am doing )  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03/05/10 at 09:03:36

cdw   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello,

I've done a re-compile on a different install of Ubuntu (on a different machine) - same version of Ubuntu 9.10 - but this time the compile worked (some warnings) but when I ran Wiring and Verified some code it complied the code and WORKED !!! no errors.

So, after all this there is some problems with the install of Ubuntu I have on the machine I wish Wiring to run on, so it looks like I'll have to either re-install or switch to a different distro - was considering using Fedora.

Anyhow, thanks, I can confirm that from source I can compile Wiring and getting it running and it seems to be working.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2