Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTroubleshooting › bootloader issues?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
bootloader issues? (Read 8727 times)
11/24/08 at 19:51:17

sonictj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hardware: wiring io board version 1.0 from Maximum Robotics
current usb driver: 2.4.6.0

I cannot seem to upload the bootloader correctly.  I have been programming the wiring board directly from avr studio, with an isp mkII, but when I try to upload the booloader, it does not work properly.  I have done this a number of times before, so I don't understand what is going wrong.

When I say the bootloader is not working properly I mean that the wiring IDE does not recognize the board.  avr studio does not have any problem uploading the bootloader.  The ftdi chip also seems fine.

I noticed something was wrong when I uploaded the bootloader, and the led would not blink.  All I have done in avr studio, is attempt to make an led blink.  From doing this I know the led is fine too.

My only thought is that a fuse got messed up, but I did not mess with them so I don't know.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11/24/08 at 20:30:54

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

please check the fuses you´re using, please also check you are using the latest bootloader http://wiring.uniandes.edu.co/source/trunk/wiring/bootloader/
and load it in the Flash section
fuses should be set SPIEN, BOOTsize 1024 words BOOTRST CKOPT BODLEVEL 4.0V BODEN CKSEL Crystal/resonator 16K CK + 64ms

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 11/25/08 at 06:02:52

sonictj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

That last fuse, CKSEL Crystal/resonator 16K CK + 64ms , can be low, medium or High frequency which should I choose?  Also could you elaborate what the difference is?

thanks for the quick reply

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 11/26/08 at 00:55:38

sonictj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

when I went to the fuses tab I could not select SPIEN.  It had a check mark and a question mark in the box.  What does this mean?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 11/26/08 at 04:59:21

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

it is activated and you can´t change it. this (ISP) is how the bootloader is programed into the board.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 11/26/08 at 18:16:04

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

Hello,
          I'm Not sure if this will help.  I have two Maxium Robotics wiring boards and never had to load a bootloader.  They both worked great.  I installed the wiring editor and the USB driver and it just worked.  If I'm way of track please let me know.

Vaccumdiode

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 11/27/08 at 07:16:45

sonictj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I did reprogram the board again with the correct fuses, but I still cannot upload sketches.  I really don't understand what is going on.  I do this all the time with my arduino boards.  I am also quite sure nothing is wrong with the board.

To Vaccumdiode2
I have been experimenting with writing programs via ISP in avr studio. This is why I needed to upload the bootloader again.  When you program the wiring board directly like that the bootloader gets wiped out.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 11/27/08 at 08:12:38

sonictj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I just reinstalled wiring to see if that would fix the problem, and sure enough everything woks now.  Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.  I guess I was uploading the bootloader correctly.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 11/27/08 at 12:22:21

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

sonicti,
              I thought Iwas missing a piece of the puzzle.  I hope to be playing with that kin of programing soon.  i've ordered a ET stamp and hope to use it in a flashing star project.

vaccumdiode Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1