Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumProgramming Questions & HelpLibrary writers › GPS library available (NMEA protocol)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
GPS library available (NMEA protocol) (Read 13995 times)
09/09/08 at 12:29:41

maartenl   Offline
YaBB Newbies
The Netherlands

I am a novice forum user, but I have written a library for the Wiring i/o board, to connect it to GPS receivers. The library is called NMEA:: (after the protocol that it implements). It can be downloaded from: http://www.maartenlamers.com/nmea/.

[list][*]It makes it very easy to decode data from [i]any[/i] GPS receiver.
[*]It comes with programming examples that cover most of its applications.
[*]It can be used in two different modes: one for normal users and one for GPS experts.
[*]It includes routines for calculating distances and directions over the Earth's surface, so you don't have to write them.
[*]It decodes GPRMC and [i]all other[/i] sentence types.
[/list]

The NMEA:: library works very well on my Wiring i/o board, but I am very curious about how it works for others and open for feedback. It is my first contribution ever, and I hope you like it.

Kind regards, and keep Wiring!
Maarten Lamers, The Netherlands

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/10/08 at 14:59:11

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

That looks great!

I hope to try it out in the future. 

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/10/08 at 15:07:49

maartenl   Offline
YaBB Newbies
The Netherlands

[quote author=Vaccumdiode2 link=1220963382/0#1 date=1221058751] I hope to try it out in the future.[/quote]

well, I'm happy to hear that. let me know if you like it. I will be making minor updates the coming period, so keep an eye on the abovementioned webpage.

thanks,
Maarten

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/11/08 at 16:15:16

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

Well, Since Gps isn't accurate on a 2 by 1 meter soccerfield, I won't be using it soon.
Little part in dutch(sorry guys, just for us):

Hey maarten, ik heb ook wel op je site gekeken. Jij geeft les in leiden? Wat leg je eigenlijk uit? Ik doe samen met kars mee aan Robocup junior, ooit van gehoord?

Titus

Check www.TeamVossius.nl for our Autonomous soccer robots!
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 12:43:56

maartenl   Offline
YaBB Newbies
The Netherlands

[quote author=Titus link=1220963382/0#3 date=1221149716]Well, Since Gps isn't accurate on a 2 by 1 meter soccerfield, I won't be using it soon.[/quote]

True. GPS won't get you far on that small a field...

[quote author=Titus link=1220963382/0#3 date=1221149716]Little part in dutch(sorry guys, just for us):
Hey maarten, ik heb ook wel op je site gekeken. Jij geeft les in leiden? Wat leg je eigenlijk uit? Ik doe samen met kars mee aan Robocup junior, ooit van gehoord?

Titus[/quote]

Interesting! Let me know if you ever demonstrate your Robocup system near Leiden or Utrecht (where I live). I'd like to see it. To answer your question: I work for the Media Technology master-of-science programme at Leiden University, teaching courses like "Creative Research", "Artifical Creatures", "Artificial Intelligence for Cocktail Parties", etcetera.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/09/10 at 21:21:47

morrowsend   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Yo Dawg, I heard you like Altitude data from your GPS devices, so I put a GGA parser in your NMEA library Wink

Ignore the stupid line above if you don't get the internet reference. Seriously though, I was using the NMEA library in Wiring 0026 and wanted to parse some GPGGA data to get the altitude.  Basically I copied what was already there for the RMC data and modified it for GGA.  Works pretty good for me.

Here's alink to the library folder, You can simply unzip it and overwrite keywords.txt, nmea.cpp and nmea.h in the path:

.../wiring 0026/libraries/NMEA

Library zip file here: http://www.projectbloc.com/NMEA_GPGGA.zip  Let me know if it is useful to anyone.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/09/10 at 23:48:39

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hey, that's great, I'll look into it Smiley thanks for posting it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/01/10 at 09:07:35

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi, I am testing your include for 0027, also sent a note to Maarten to remind him to look at it. : )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1