Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Can I connect an ac motor to the i/o board?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Can I connect an ac motor to the i/o board? (Read 6321 times)
03/03/08 at 02:12:21

pepitamendieta   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an ac motor to wiring? in that case do I need a transductor, a magnetic amplifier or any kind of chip?
Thank you

if anyone knows please answer me as quick as possible

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/03/08 at 08:18:39

worapoht   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Thailand

if you mean turn On-Off operation like Universal AC motor using on Electric Fan or Water Pump , just control by Solid-State Relay device from Wiring board.
Wire connection like a simple LED. See detail on http://www.crydom.com/products/productFamily.aspx?id=24
recommended  Zero cross type on D12xx/24xx series  (depand on your AC voltage rating and), because it need 3-32V.DC control that 5V.DC from Wiring board can do

if not, to control Speed on  1 or 3 phase Induction motor, Synchronous motor . it's need much more drivers, sensors and software technics to control them..

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/03/08 at 17:24:50

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

what about simply connect the ac motor to an Tranistor/Mosfet and use a digitale i/o(in this case O) to trigger it?

Check www.TeamVossius.nl for our Autonomous soccer robots!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/04/08 at 01:02:49

Jaguarjoe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!
Grosse Ile, MI

A transistor or a mosfet only conducts current in one direction. They are suitable for DC circuits only with one way current flow. You will need a circuit that works with AC or two way current flow. That is what an SSR will do for you.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/14/08 at 11:26:41

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

Hello,
           When working with AC motors you can usee a MOSFET to control a relay to turn it on and off.  If it is a larger motor tou can use a contactor that you can control with a signal relay.  If you want to control the speed you will need a variable frequency drive(VFD) to control the speed of an AC motor.  There are some AC motor that are used in Electric RC plans.  but these are small and tend to be expencive.
           VFD tend to be expensive and most commonly used in industrial applications.  some do take in PWM signals for speed comtrol.
           If you can stick with the DC motors.  they are inexpencive and plentiful.

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1