Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTroubleshooting › was working fine, now USB not working/errors

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
was working fine, now USB not working/errors (Read 9519 times)
10/06/07 at 01:19:29

phineus   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Just when I get on a roll with this thing a friend comes over and I try to do a demo and next thing I know my USB COM4 is gone.  2nd time in a row - maybe my friend  is electromagnetic or something.

I'm on windows XP.  When I unplug and replug the USB cable I get the error:

USB Device not recognized, one of your devices has malfunctioned etc.

Then after a few tries it works again but now it's COM6 instead of COM4.  Last week it was COM5, then it went back to COM4 for a couple days.  It's like the wandering USB port.  Maybe it's because I have a hub?  Driving me nuts and I have to keep changing my code to match the COM port and I never know when it's going to crap out on me mid-debugging.

Now I get an error in Wiring when trying to upload:

the selected serial port -> /dev/com4 does not exist or your board is not connected

Argh!

So I uninstalled all USB devices and rebooted and let everything reinstall - and now it's on COM7.  So I search the Registry for dev/com4 and change it to com7 and it seems to be working now.

Why does this happen and how do I make it stop?  It's like an evil serial fungus determined to rob me of progress.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/07/07 at 10:37:30

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

I recognice the first part of your error's

I had them to with an other I/O board:

Your power source is nealry empty

Are you on a 9V battery?

Titus

Check www.TeamVossius.nl for our Autonomous soccer robots!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10/07/07 at 11:58:47

phineus   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Today it is up to COM9 and my Registry changes are not noticed by Wiring.  This sucks.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 10/07/07 at 14:11:02

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

on what power source are you?
If you are on a 9V battery, try replacing that.

you are using the same usb port?

What other USB devices are you using, like a mouse or a printer etc?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10/07/07 at 20:22:01

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi, please let us know if you are running on batteries or powering from external or USB.
Everytime you connect the board to a different USB port the COM number will change, that´s something to do with the FTDI drivers numbering. They provide a software utility that allows to fix the Wiring board to a serial port number please check http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm .
You might have installed some other USB device which might be causing conflicts/problems with the USB driver, check things like USB hubs, devices; bluetooth is also know as a source of trouble sometimes. Please also check if you have installed the latest version of the VCP (Virtual Com Port) drivers http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm (use the executable version), also check you are using the 32Bit Windows XP drivers (not the windows x64 version). Also please let me know which version of the Wiring software are you using. Have you tried to install/use the board with other computer?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/11/09 at 09:31:52

Carlos   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi, i got the same problem, i'm using the usb to powered it.

I really don't know what to do.

I try to conect the borad to a macbook pro and happed the same, at firt the macbook recognice the board but later the port doesn´t apper.

im using wiring 0019 in both computers.

So? what can i do?

THX.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/11/09 at 09:41:44

Carlos   Offline
YaBB Newbies

more information, i try to remove the drivers with the utility on page and plug in the board again and..... nothig get.

When i check the tree deiveces the board apper like unknown Divece.
So i open the drives bos and try no update the driver and it says that the sowsware is already install.

THX again for your help.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 14:58:19

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

Did you install these drivers:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Titus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1