Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTroubleshooting › On/off switch?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
On/off switch? (Read 10572 times)
10/02/07 at 15:17:20

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

Most microcontroller systems use dip swichtes, to indicate on/off or different states.
I can't seem to find a on/off switch. Because there is none.

What happens, when you connect an external power source(that is the plug next to the usb plug(what is it called) and can you connect a 9V battery through just two wires)
so when you connect an external power source, does the board stay on?

When you want to run a program and the power source is yet connected, you press the reset button. But how do you end you program; without resetting it

As an example:
You play 2 against 2 soccer with robots. Then a goal has been scored, and you pick up you robot, switch the program off and about 12 seconds later, the game starts again.

Would you press the reset button pick it up, press it again, and hope that the program activates again on that 12th second?

Maybe adding a few dipswitches or an on/off switch is an idea for the next wiring version.

Titus

Check www.TeamVossius.nl for our Autonomous soccer robots!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/02/07 at 19:29:21

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

You can connect both the USB and the external power plug, the power comes from the one selected using the power jumper, check step 3 here: http://wiring.org.co/ioboard/installation.html If you want to power from a battery (using the battery holes) the jumper must be in the external power supply as well.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10/03/07 at 05:21:52

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

yes, i know. I already got my wiring board working.

But i was wondering, if i use the bat + and - holes. Would i be able to turn the wiring board off? when it is still pluged into the battery?

And how would i stop a program withouth pulling the battery off?
And withouth reseting it, because then it will start again in 7 seconds?

Titus

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 10/03/07 at 12:29:12

roypardi   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
Boston USA

Put a switch on one of the battery leads

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10/03/07 at 14:32:20

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

The battery holder holes are also before the power selection jumper, removing the power selection jumper from the board will turn off the board and you won´t have to dissconnect the battery every time. Or as Roy says add a switch to one of the battery leads.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10/03/07 at 16:39:11

Titus   Offline
Wiring Soccer Robot!
Amsterdam

thanks, i think i'll mount a switch on the jumper(is that possible?)

And what if i wanted to reset the robot, and prepare it for running the same program. And i want it to start immediate. Should i mount a switch on a i/o port and tell the program to start when i turn over the switch(that way i can start the robot after 12 seconds immediate, because 7 seconds to restart and 0 when i turn the switch.)

Titus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1