Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTangible computing › Stepper Motor

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Stepper Motor (Read 5186 times)
08/15/07 at 03:05:37

daught   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

I need to move a car steering wheel with a stepper motor connected to the steering shaft. . Can someone recomend me a strong enough stepper motor and controller that will work with wiring?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/15/07 at 17:19:04

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

Hello everyone

Daught,

How are you coupling it to the steering shaft?   If you use a chain drive you have a lot of drifferent for the required torque.   Have you tested to see what the torque to turn the shaft is.   your can use the steering wheel nut with an inch/pound(pound/inch) torque wrench or a metric kg/cm torque wrench.  you may be able to couple them with a one to one ratio.  that would be the easiest to write the code for.  But fist you need to know the required torque and the means that stepper motor will be coupled to the steering shaft.  with this info you can look for a motor that has a torque rating, so that your required torque is 80% or less of the motors max out torque rating.

Rich

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/16/07 at 08:03:19

daught   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

The vehicle I am implementing this to is the Infinity G37. I have no acess to it at the moment(there are none in canada). Plus there is the user resistance variable. I will probally use differnet size sprockets to maximize torque.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/16/07 at 15:23:59

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

What are you trying to do?

I have some experience with steppers, but knowing what the
project is will help me help you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1