Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Analog in to monitor analog out?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Analog in to monitor analog out? (Read 3400 times)
07/24/07 at 17:18:57

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

Hello Everyone!!

I had a strange I dea.  could you hook an analog out pin to an Analog In Pin and monitor the voltage being put out bt the Analog Out.   I'm worried that it could cause some kind if ground loop problem.   Also the output would have to be under load.  I can do this with my meter and see the data.  I thought that it would be nice to see it in the LCD screen.

Rich

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/25/07 at 04:15:38

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

I haven't tried myself. The analog outputs work with PWM, it is not really analog voltage, PWM turns on and off the pin very quickly, for example in a cycle, if you have 50% of the time the pin in ON and 50% of the time OFF, then you'll experience something like 2.5 volts in the pin, many dimmers use this technique to dim lights etc.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/26/07 at 16:02:42

Vaccumdiode2   Offline
chicago, IL USA

Hello,
          I Think if I use a PWM to Analog converter it should work.  My father said that in the old TV they used a risitor and a cap to ground and the change in the cap's  charging rate isc ontrolled by the PWN in turn give a analog voltage related to the pulse width.   I will wrte a schematic and e-mail it.  I still have to test it.  maybe this week end the wife will give me some free time.

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1