Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareTangible computing › Frankenstein Panasonic video mixer project

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Frankenstein Panasonic video mixer project (Read 3664 times)
10/23/06 at 23:19:00

movax   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Greetings.

I have a Panasonic MX30 video mixer sitting around, and most of the buttons are shot.   

So, I'd like to make this thing MIDI controllable.   Cool  I want to simply wire it up so that I can "push the buttons" from a Wiring board.  I will desolder the buttons, and then would like to open/close that connection using a digitally controlable circuit instead.  Based on a transistor, right?  The Wiring Board's digital output will be used to activate/deactivate the connection.

My question is, can anyone point me in a direction for this basic circuit?  This could be passive, right?  Easy stuff for EE but the most I've done with circuits is ATMEGA servo/LED control stuff. 

Thanks ahead of time!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/25/06 at 04:24:28

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

Since you have no idea how the device scans the buttons, you can't just plop in transistors.

But you CAN just plop in reed-relays and drive their coils from a Wiring board.
These are +5 Volts and 400 Ohms, so just bolt them in and drive them.
(Make sure to put a diode across the coil like HERE or you might blow up your CPU.
These babies are US$0.59 each in a pack of ten from: BG Micro site.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10/28/06 at 00:34:27

movax   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Thanks Alan, that makes a lot of sense.  I read the link, very informative.  The reed relays are lookin like the way to go for sure.

Still trying to figure out how to select the protection diode though..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1