Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareHow to get it? › Building an I/O board?

Pages: 1 2 
Building an I/O board? (Read 41270 times)
Reply #15 - 01/15/06 at 23:20:19

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

I recently got an ATMEGA-128 board working with Wiring thanks to D. H. Barragán!

I started with a blank PCB  for US$4.00 from sparkfun.com
I added a US$16 processor from digikey.com, a pair of crystals and some pins.

I also used an RS232-to-TTL converter (US$10.00) from pololu.com so that I could talk from my regular serial port. You could use the USB-to-TTLconverter also (US$23.00).

I downloaded the bootloader file and after trying several settings for the processor fuses, it works great.

I'll put up a webpage in a few days showing the details of how to get it running, but I wanted to let everyone know it is possible to get another manufacturer's board working with wiring.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 01/17/06 at 01:47:07

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Congratulations! It looks cool and great.

I've got an other ATmega128 board as well, but I could not download the bootloader because my dummy parallel programer doesn't work, Although it works fine on Arduino boards.

Could you let us know how to download the bootloader to the board?

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 01/17/06 at 02:18:48

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

I can't think why your programmer would be able to download to an ATMEGA-8 but not to an ATMEGA-128.
I'll think about it and see if I can come up with anything.

I used an AVR-ISP programmer from DigiKey.com for US$30 which is a great deal.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 01/17/06 at 07:37:17

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Finally, I downloaded. The problem is my cable. Grin , but I still have got a problem. I couldn't upload to I/O board on the Wiring program. The error message is 'Programmer is not responding.'

Is there any setting I have to do before using I/O board? Something like fuses ...
« Last Edit: 01/18/06 at 02:26:40 by since69 »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 01/20/06 at 08:30:09

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

I will get you the fuse settings tomorrow.
They are critically important if you want the bootloader to function.

Are you using AVR studio to write the bootloader to the card or something else?

Is this a "genuine" Wiring board or something home made like mine?

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 01/20/06 at 10:54:45

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I use UISP.
I never know how it works, just need command line options like that below;
'uisp -dpart=ATmega128 -dprog=dapa -dlpt=0x378 --wr_fuse_l=0xdf --wr_fuse_h=0xca'

Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 01/20/06 at 16:13:06

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

I can never remember which fuse bit is where and when they get 1s and when they get 0s so maybe someone else can help convert to the fuse byte values.

Here are the fuse settings in avrstudio.
(I had a friend with a Windows laptop program it since I only use Linux and Solaris)

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 01/20/06 at 18:23:50

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

After looking at a million webpages and getting confused about fuses=1(unprogrammed) I MIGHT have the proper commandline for you.

uisp -dpart=ATmega128 -dprog=dapa -dlpt=0x378 --wr_fuse_l=0xff --wr_fuse_h=0xda --wr_fuse_e=0xff

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, so PLEASE check these fuse settings before programming the part. I think it's possible to get a part programmed incorrectly in a way that is almost impossible to recover from.

Don't just take my work on this, check it yourself before programming the part.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 01/25/06 at 00:31:14

Ari   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Alan -

Would you be kind enough to detail the components that you used to construct your board? For example, which ATMEGA-128 chip did you pick, and what were the values of the crystal, etc. I know that you are planning on putting up a webpage, but I am anxious to get started!

I'm also wondering if there is a place that the bootloader can be made avaiable for download. Mr.Barragán must get tired of emailing it out all the time.

regards

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 01/25/06 at 02:59:17

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Unfortunately I failed to use my board on Wiring, although Mr Alan_Kilian and Mr Barragán had provided me with lots of information. It might not suit Wiring software. There are a schematic and fuses which I used. I haven't known yet what problem is.

http://www.pcbart.co.kr/front/php/b/file_download.php?no=70&filename=DM21.pdf
I added a 32.768KHz crystal.

Fuses
Low byte / High byte
0xFF / 0xDA
0x6F / 0xCC
0x6F / 0xDC
0x6D / 0xDC
0x6B / 0xDC

Thanks Mr Alan_Kilian and Mr Barragán.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 01/25/06 at 03:59:28

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

You need to add two jumpers so that you can  disconnect the TxD and RxD wires between the MAX232 chip and the ATMEGA-ISP connector.

Or, if the MAX232 is in a socket, pull it out of the socket before programming the ATMEGA-128 with the bootloader.

Once you have the bootloader programmed into the chip, you can leave the MAX232 connected forever.

The problem is that the parallel-port programmer is trying to wiggle pin 2 on the MEGA-128 and the MAX232 is trying to hold pin 2 at a constant value since there's no RS232 communications going on at that time.

(You really only need 1 jumper, but I always disconnect both TxD and Rxd out of habit.)

I'm not sure how Mr Barragán programs his boards since there are no jumpers. Maybe using the JTAG port?

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 01/25/06 at 06:14:17

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thanks Alan,

If I use a serial-port programmer, can I do this without disconnecting the MAX232 chip?

For me, buying a serial-port programmer is better than disconnecting.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 01/25/06 at 16:05:30

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

If I use a serial-port programmer, can I do this without disconnecting the MAX232 chip?

For me, buying a serial-port programmer is better than disconnecting.

The serial-port programmer I have (AVR-ISP) connects to the same 6-pin ATMEGA-ICE connector as your parallel-port programmer, so if you use this one, you will have the same problem.

You can also try adding 2K Ohm resistors at the output of your MAX232 as shown in this schematic of an
Atmel AVR programmer

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 01/26/06 at 17:23:30

Alan_Kilian   Offline
Wiring? It looks like
Java to me.

Quote:
Would you be kind enough to detail the components that you used to construct your board?

I will STRONGLY recommend you get a Wiring board from h.barragan.
It will be the easiest and probably the cheapest way to go.
I built my own since I had all the parts except the 32 KHz crystal sitting on my desk. (I got the crystal out of an old watch.)

I've built about 4 different AVR boards before, so I have all the tools right where I need them, and it was fast and easy for me.

So, get a board from h.barragan and get to creating wonderful art for us rather than getting all frustrated trying to build your own board.

If you really want to build your own, I have part numbers on my homemade Wiring board page.
I'll give you all the support I can if you run into problems when you are building it.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 01/27/06 at 12:32:09

since69   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I think so the fastest and easiest way to get a Wiring board is asking to h.barragan. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2