Home \ Help \ Search \ Login RSS

Welcome, Guest. Please Login

This forum is now READ-ONLY! Please visit http://forum.wiring.co/ for the new forum.

Wiring ForumWiring HardwareHow to get it? › Building an I/O board?

Pages: 1 2 
Building an I/O board? (Read 41297 times)
08/05/05 at 23:23:36

self_titled   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Canada

I was wondering if anyone has any idea how difficult it would be to build this I/O board on your own.

Would I need a template PCB the same as the one used for the Wiring board, then buy all the components to soder on? Or was this PCB custom built/designed?

If it is a general template is there somewhere I'd be able to purchase it?  If it was custom built would I be able use a different board with the same traces?

Excuse my lack of electronics knowledge...

Any info into this would be greatly appreciated, I've already purchased one board but I'd like to try my hand at building one from scratch.
« Last Edit: 08/09/05 at 21:30:40 by self_titled »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/10/05 at 05:27:31

self_titled   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Canada

Nevermind, I think I've done enough research now that I know the answer.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/13/05 at 23:35:33

gnuwho   Offline
YaBB Newbies

By all means, share the fruit of your research...  Are you going to build?

-gnuwho

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/14/05 at 02:03:00

self_titled   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Canada

Well my research didn't turn up any good/easy news.  I think this board was custom designed so finding a stock board with the same traces would be difficult if not impossible. 

You could create your own PCB boards with a kit but I think I'd rather just buy more boards as this sounds like a long and tedious process plus having to soder on all the tiny components by hand. 

You could however just send in the board design files (if they were made available other than .pdf) and get prototypes made up but this is pretty expensive unless you buy quantity.

So for now at least I'm not going to try and build one myself, maybe in the near future once I do more research but I just recieved my board so I'd rather spend my time playing around with it.

Anyone feel free to comment if they have any further knowledge on this topic or if any of my assumptions are wrong.  I'm sure barragan would be able to elaborate.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/15/05 at 08:59:25

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Hey guys, somebody build his own board a few months ago right before distribution started.
It is a bit hard with the SMD chips specially the atmega128 but this guy did with some special sockets where you press put the chip in and then release zero force I think they are called. I had provided him with the bootloader file (the firmware for the atmega128 so the Wiring development environment recognizes his board when uploading the code. You're right it is pretty expensive to make just a few of them, the only way to get costs down is printing many of them, that's why I printed 500 to start. I have provided some schools with the needed files to print their own, and it worked pretty well as far as I know.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 09/06/05 at 23:19:27

Erik   Offline
YaBB Newbies
London, UK

Have you looked at http://www.chip45.com/index.pl?page=Crumb128〈=en
Similar circuit to the I/O board and saves on making your own.
Is the bootloader going to be available for download?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/07/05 at 14:33:09

nick   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I've just bought one of these for precisely that - will report back when i have had a chance to try it out.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10/06/05 at 13:28:48

riaanvj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote:
I've just bought one of these for precisely that - will report back when i have had a chance to try it out.

Nick have you managed to have a look at this Crumb128 board?

any problems/comments?

thanx,
riaan

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10/06/05 at 15:15:38

michael05   Offline
YaBB Newbies

i contacted chip45 a while ago while waiting for my board to ship. here are some extracts of what they wrote:

"wiring's base is the ftdi usb chip, my module uses the cp2102 from siliconlaboratories. both have identical functions(...) it should work."

"but the cp2102 on my crumb128 module uses the second uart of the atmega128 (txd1 and rxd1). you should ask if wiring's bootloader will work with it, too."

"on the wiring board one can connect the dtr of the usb chip with the reset of the mega128. that's not possible with mine. but perhaps it is not needed. the cp2102 reset connects internally with the mega128 reset."

"you should ask if the bootloader needs a special clock frequency. crumb128 is only available with 14.7456 mhz."

"does wiring use a special bootloader or does it just emulate a stk500 or avr910 isp tool? if so you could use the wiring environment with my stk500 bootloader."

"from the hardware side it looks good. but the question is if the software will work with the other uart and if the 14.7456 quarz will work."

he is a nice guy and answered my questions immediately. i used the email on their website.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10/06/05 at 16:46:07

nick   Offline
YaBB Newbies

have had very little time to do anything with it.

The usb is connected to the other serial port, but with a usb - serial cable am hoping it will be ok.

Might get some time this weekend.

Will post back when I have more conclusive feedback!

Cheers

Nick

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10/06/05 at 17:42:18

riaanvj   Offline
YaBB Newbies

thanks Nick and michael05.

can anyone comment on the Boot Loader questions raised by chip45?

barragan?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 10/09/05 at 19:05:23

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi guys, I'll post the bootlaoder asap Smiley of you need it now drop me an e-mail I'll send it right the way.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 12/05/05 at 02:23:15

ozel   Offline
YaBB Newbies
munich, germany

Hi all,

@michael05 and nick:
what about the crumb128? Is it working with it's onbaord usb chip and wiring?

@barragan:
could you say something about the bootloader detail questions, michael05 raised above?
- must the board use a 16mhz crystal?
- is the reset function with the DTR line needed by wiring?
- does it rely on usart0 or will it listen to usart1, too
...or just provide the source code Wink

maybe a nice tip for all DIY wiring board builders:
you can use a broken up ("hacked" Wink) serial-usb converter cable and connect TXD/RXD cables directly to the converter chip, just before the rs232 line driver or you can use a mobile phone usb cable from ebay (in most cases they have an ftdi or profilic usb/serial converter chip inside with ATmega compatible signal levels at the mobile phone connector side) for a really cheap and easy usb connection to any Atmega128.
I'm actually thinking about using the same cable with avrdude to do ISP and programm the bootloader, too!
You just need to connect 2 more serial handshake lines like CTS and RTS from the converter chip. Basicly you make the same connections  as some simple "ponyprog" style programmer like this one: http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/avr-pg1b-sch.gif.  But you can skip the resitor/z-diode voltage lowering stuff.

Ciao, oli

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 12/05/05 at 14:19:40

nick   Offline
YaBB Newbies

No I haven't got round to it at all, have been totally sidetracked by other things.

Sorry to not be able to gove more info!

Cheers

Nick

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 12/05/05 at 23:13:47

barragan   Offline
YaBB Administrator

hi guys, the board can be of any clock, the Wiring board runs at 16Mhz.

>>is the reset function with the DTR line needed by wiring?
NO, I removed that in the second badge of boards, it is not needed at all.

>>does it rely on usart0 or will it listen to usart1,
right now it waits for usart0 to listen for the bootloader. (Any bootloader that behaves as an STK500 will work)

>>...or just provide the source code 
I will upload it into cvs asap, I need to go over ir very soon.

yes the FTDI chip is the one the Wiring board uses.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2